Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center
Medical Foster Home
The Wichita VA Medical Center Foster Home Program is seeking potential caregivers from several communities for Veterans who do not have family members to care for them. The Medical Foster Home Program is a new service that will provide area Veterans with an alternative to traditional nursing home placement and offers a community-based living arrangement for adults who cannot live independently due to physical or mental difficulties or disabilities.
The Medical Foster Home (MFH) Coordinator and the Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) Team are available to provide guidance, training, and assistance to the caregiver, as well as oversight and medical care to the Veterans. Through the program, caregivers will provide a safe, long-term, home-like environment and an economical long-term care alternative for Veterans who are unable to remain in their own homes because of medical issues and lack of a reliable caregiver.
Caregivers will be screened and matched to Veterans who are enrolled in or qualify for the Home Based Primary Care program. Caregivers can provide care for up to three people in their homes through the Medical Foster Home Program. Caregivers can earn income at home caring for Veterans. A negotiated yearly agreement between the caregiver, the Veteran, and/or responsible party, outlining the cost to the Veteran and the care to be provided.
• Caregivers must be at least 21 years old, financially stable, have some formal or informal care-giving experience. He/she will be physically able to provide the care needed.
• Caregivers must communicate effectively with the Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) Team and help with carrying out the Veteran’s plan of care.
• The home must be owned or rented by the caregiver; and the caregiver must live in the home.
• The home must be equipped and maintained to provide a home-like environment, as well as safety and supervision for the MFH Veteran.
• The home must be located within 50 miles of the Robert J. Dole VA Medical Center.
• Homes must be approved by the VA Inspection Team for compliance with VA standards.
Medical Foster Home (MFH) provides long-term care and companionship for Veterans and the opportunity for caregivers to give back to America’s heroes. It eliminates or delays the need for institutionalization when Veterans do not have family or caregivers able to meet their needs.
For additional information on the MEDICAL FOSTER HOME PROGRAM, please call:
Courtney Smith, LSCSW
316-685-2221, Ext. 57749
PSA, Medical Foster Home
316-685-2221, Ext. 57864